Firstly, what is back up?
Simply put, backup means having multiple copies of all your important files, as at different dates. These copies should be held off-site, in case your onsite server or external hardware devices fail, or a disaster occurs. You are essentially safeguarding your business.
It is no coincidence that World Backup Day is right before April Fools, if you don’t back up your data, well, you could end up looking extremely foolish, or worst case scenario out of business.
Traditionally, many businesses may back up using tapes, external hard drives, CDs, DVDs etc. The main problem with these types of backups is that they share the same physical location as the original files. In a disaster such as a fire or theft, for example, the backups and originals have the same chances of being destroyed or stolen.
Now, we have seen what has happened when the Christchurch earthquake first strike on 4th September 2010 and again 22nd February 2011 causing widespread devastation to businesses down in the CBD and across the city.
Unfortunately, some businesses learned the hard way. Many businesses were unable to retrieve their servers and backup devices which remained trapped in the CBD (red zone) for months, years, some businesses never got their data back.
What have we leant? Well, for anyone in business, small or large, Christchurch earthquake has been a wakeup call to secure their crucial data online. Buying a piece of mind, it’s there when you need it!
Six reasons to use Layer3 Cloud Backup
- Data is encrypted before being backed up
- Data is transferred using a secure Internet connection.
- All backup data is replicated to another offsite server
- Nobody else has access to your information unless you let that person know your encryption key.
- Backups operate automatically in the background, either while you are working or after hours. You don’t have to waste endless hours doing it yourself.
- Your data is stored safely in a managed, alarmed data centre
- By backing up offsite, you virtually eliminate the risk of losing your critical information
- You can access your data from anywhere in the world if necessary
- Reduces administration time. No need to manually backup computers
- Low annual cost and monthly payment options available
- Plans available to suit any business (Home business or corporate)
- Eliminates the need to buy expensive hardware and consumables
- Backups are verified periodically to ensure that files are 100% restorable when needed
- Even open files and in-use databases can be backed up – while you are still working
- Layer3 Vault allows you to restore any version of a file from a previous backup, even files you have previously deleted
- If you are a SME that use a (MSP) Managed IT Service Provider such as Layer3, our certified technicians install and verify the system for you. No technical knowledge required.
- A few simple clicks let you restore files or folders in seconds
- Restore files directly from the Web Interface if you cannot get to your own computer
Data is the lifeblood of most businesses. You need it to run your operations, record your transactions and measure your progress. Without timely access to your data, your business might never recover. Local backup is a step in the right direction, but gives limited assurance.
So, ask yourself are you giving your business, employees, vendors and customers the protection they deserve with online data backup?
If the answer is no to the above question, don’t leave it to chance call Layer3 on 0508 529 373